New Look 6511 Review

Hi,

Have you ever gone through a time with your sewing that just made everything you do seem "OFF"?  Well, for the last 2 years, I have been experiencing a very low spirit, attitude, and just lack luster feeling towards my sewing.  I have neglected my inner desires to be creative and not really feeling like talking about what's been hanging so gloom and doom over my machine and my fabric. 

Normally, fabric is my go to for high energy, but not even touching my beloved fabric has sparked my interest.  When I get inspired by something that I see and want, my engine gets to turning and I get prepared with lots of zeal towards my new found idea.  Only to find that once I get past the pattern cutting phase, I'm back to "Low Energy" again. 

I've recently noticed that I've gained some weight and that doesn't help my inner being very much, but I'm still optimistic about a positive future.  I have spent the last couple of years hiding and not sharing with you a closely guarded part of my life that I will try to share as I try to find my way back to my passion.

I've been sewing, but I haven't been posting as much as I've sewn.  So, I want to tell you about this project that I just finished.  I went to my local Goodwill and found this amazing cotton curtain that somehow jumped into my hands and made its way home with me for a trial run with New Look 6511. 

When I saw this pattern, I thought it looked a lot like a top that I had made earlier.  Once I got started with the construction of New Look 6511, I noticed that there was very little differences. My initial plan was always to make a maxi dress with this pattern, but since my sewing was off and I had messed up a lot of extremely loved good fabric, a piece of curtain would not be missed.  I actually had to push myself to gain speed and accuracy as well as completion with this project. 

My frustration with touching the fabric was overwhelming, but guess what?!?  I finished it and I didn't have as hard of a time as I had expected.  It didn't hurt to actually complete a project and I realized that the feeling of calm that came over me was so welcomed.  It felt like I was back to doing me and being me for once in a a long while. 

Here's a look at my Goodwill thrift fabric find.


I added pockets to this dress because I love pockets

Elastic and button closure




The Review

Pattern Description:  Misses top, mini dress, tunic or crop top with ruffle variations.  Options for cap sleeve or sleeveless.

Pattern Sizing:  6-18

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  Yes,

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I liked how fast this pattern went together.  It was a total sewing time of roughly 3 hours from start to finish.

Fabric Used:  Cotton

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  There weren't any major alterations.  The exception would be pockets and length to the skirt.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  Yes.  Yes.

Conclusion:   This is a pattern that should be a staple go to for a relaxed top or dress.  It was very easy to make and there wasn't a lot of fuss about how things went together.  I say choose your fabric and go for it.  I used a cotton, but I think there are a wide list of fabrics that would go well with this pattern. 

A word of caution... I did use the bias tape on the neck opening, but if you have a wider neck or a phobia of "things close on you neck", make minor adjustments here before you cut your fabric.  I noticed that once I made the dress in total, the neck was way to close on my neck, but it wasn't uncomfortable.  I think when I make this again I will do a sleeveless and take the neck opening down a little so it doesn't give a choking affect.  I was able to wear it without feeling confined, but I like turtlenecks so the close neck didn't bother me.

Altering the skirt part was simple.  I used the pattern as the base and then measured myself from waist to floor (39").  Then I added 1"  for a complete 40".  For me this is a good floor length with my dresses and pants.  Once I add my shoes I still have room to spare.  Yes, I am low to the ground,,,(LOL).  But I like for my dresses or pants to just touch the ground slightly.  Because there was already about a good 3" hem on the curtains I used it.  I didn't hem this dress at all which cut down on sewing time immensely.

Overall, this was an easy pattern that could be used for many different garment projects.  The instructions were on point and to the point.  It could be helpful to any stage sewist.  I added pockets and long skirt which shows this pattern has no limitations.  Main key factor for this pattern is that it is sooooo comfortable.  It feels like air with this cotton fabric.

Ok, I'm going to move on and try to find me something else to like as much as this one.  Thank you for joining me today.  I hope that as I continue to climb my way out of the slumps you will stop by and say hello.  I will try to share a little more and as I try, know that I have already been through the roughest part.  As always,,,,

Lots Of Love,
Dellia

Comments