Going Boho With New Look 6448

Hi

Today I have a project that I was itching to get to because I was curious about the fabric.  A few weeks back I ordered some fabric and my skepticism was peeked by this gauze material that I kept seeing on FabricMart.  We all take a chance when we order fabric online, but this piece kept calling me and I was constantly thinking,,,,"What would I do with it"?

Normally I have a plan for my fabric before I go in, but this time I wasn't too sure about how I was going to handle this one and another piece that came as a surprise from one of their free bundles (show you that later).

When my fabric comes I am always so excited.  I've been asked several times, "Have you ever been displeased with any fabric that you've ordered online?"  My answer is,,,,NO.  I love fabric and I could never really see an ugly piece or a piece that couldn't be used somewhere.  So while I'm looking at this fabric my mind was not clicking with the concept of gauze and something light because this fabric had a different weight and texture compared to other gauze fabric that I had in my stash.  Twisting my mind with what to do with the fabric seemed to be a challenge until I looked at New Look.  I had over 4 yards and I didn't want to just make a top or a skirt, but I wanted something made with this fabric.  In the end New Look 6448 gave me the inspiration that I needed to put some beautiful fabric together,,,My Way.

Here's what I came up with.
This is the bodice top with the lining.
Here is the bodice and the pins are the placement for eyelets.  If you haven't tried an eyelet application, I think it is so worth the effort to try them.  There are many different sizes to accommodate just about any project that you can think of.  I used the small 5/32" brass eyelets that I had leftover from a previous project.
The pattern only called for a space of 3 sets of eyelets.  I placed 4 sets  That was a safety measure for me.


I used a suede cord that I found at Walmart in the craft department to tie up things and placed a couple of beads on the ends (I found these in the same area).
The pattern doesn't really call for an underslip (lining), but I felt that since I had lined the bodice,,why not line the whole thing?

I can not say how happy I was with this fabric.  The colors are so vibrant and fabric was a dream to sew.  This purchase was so worth it and yet the sad part is FabricMart no longer has any of this gauze left.

I liked the long sleeves on this dress, but wanted something a little different. So, I split the sleeve all the way from bottom to top and then joined them back together 2" from the top and 2" from the top.  Then I stitched the edges to create the open sleeve look and continued as directed with the elastic closure to wrists.


The Review

Pattern Description: Misses dress pattern with sleeve and skirt variations.

Pattern Sizing: 6-18

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions were great.  I didn't have any problems with the illustrations or the written instructions.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  Believe it or not this pattern was very versatile and with the different cover photos of possibilities, I actually loved everything about this pattern.

Fabric Used: Cotton Gauze

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  Only the sleeve and added 1 extra eyelet.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  Yes, and most definitely yes.

Conclusion:   I think this is a great pattern and it might be the fabric that made it so beautiful to me, but I believe that a Challis or any type of lightweight silky fabric could make this pattern come to life.  Just pick your yardage and let go.  I even think a beginner could make this dress.

I hope you enjoyed today's post.  That's all for now and until next time,,,,,

Lots Of Love
Dellia

Comments