New Look 6434 An Eyelet's Tale

Hi

I'm back today with a top from New Look that caught my eye a while back.  My dilemma was that the blouse in the cover photo was so interesting to me.  I wanted to mimic that look, but I couldn't really find the fabric that was used to make it and so, I had to settle for something that I thought would be just as interesting as the cover photo.

New Look 6434 is my pattern of the day.   This pattern for some reason was really cute in all views.  In my mind, I had to have the main photo top, but finding a lace or some other matching fabric that looked like that was proving to be a task.  Not to be outdone with the whole thing I just went with what I had and tried to follow the fabric suggestions by going with a nice Eyelet.

Here's a look at my final top version.
I chose to take this top to a very casual look but with a kick.  I added a cool straw hat that was trimmed in lace and feathers.  I had simple jewelry with a little Boho flair and threw in a gorgeous pair of heels that were made from denim. 
After I had completed my top I was very pleased with how it had turned out.  The pattern suggestion to use a gallon edge eyelet seemed to work very well for this top.  I did make one small adjustment (in the review) which made this top appropriate for me.  Matching this top with a pair of dark colored jeans and a really kool pair of denim sandals (1, 2, 3)  made my look completely impressive to me.

The Review


Pattern Description:  Misses top pattern with elbow length sleeve, short sleeves with contrast band, sleeveless with flounce hem and short sleeve lace top with sleeve flounce. 

Pattern Sizing:  10 - 22

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?  Excellent instructions, Yes.

Fabric Used:  Eyelet

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  Once I saw how sheer the light colored eyelet was I decided to make a cropped underlining.  I used the pattern itself and measured under my arm to get the exact length of how long I wanted the lining to be (10").  I joined the shoulders together (all pieces) sewed each side seam separately and then hemmed the lining.  I didn't have to hem the top piece because it had a finished edge already.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  Yes, just to see what comes up with the other different fabrics.  Yes.  This is a good beginner pattern and a quick wardrobe builder.

Conclusion:  I love this simple easy blouse pattern.  It was easy to construct and it leaves room to explore.  I believe it can be used by all skill levels and can become a staple pattern.  I used a gallon edge eyelet, but I would seriously consider other fabrics to see where I could take this look and pattern.

Well, I'm off to the next one, but as always, I enjoy our time together.  Thank you for joining me today and Until next time...

Lots Of Love
Dellia

Comments