Ready For Spring Breeze With McCall's 7057

Hi

All winter long I was very excited about McCall's 7057.  The only problem was that I was in love with the envelope cover's fabric.  I really wanted to find a fabric that matched the cover to make my jacket/ sweater out of and that search went a little long.

I thought that this jacket was simply the cutest thing.  I knew I had a few yards of point knit and other types of sweater knit, but I really wanted something similar to the lamb look that you see above.  It took some doing and some constant searching, but I finally found my fabric at Fabricmart.  My local stores had nothing comparable to match it and  I don't know if it was fate or just luck, but I was happy to see my fabric.

So,,,,, guess what I did.?  I ordered 2 1/2yds without thinking or looking at the instructions (3 1/8 yds).  I just dove right in and let my excitement take over.  Needless to say that once I got ready to make the jacket, I was trying to figure out how to make it all fit without the extra yard.  I went back to the site, there wasn't any more.  I was crushed.  I still didn't let that get me down because I kept thinking that if I could find enough yardage in another color, I would use that.  Wow, what a nightmare that was.  I looked almost everywhere and I still couldn't find anything like it.  I thanked my lucky stars when I took one last  look back at Fabricmart and there it was.  A few more yards on sale and I quickly snatched up my other yard.  LOL. Whew,  That was a really close call.  I can laugh now, but it was not funny to me at the time.

Here is a look at my little lamby jacket.






The Review

Pattern Description:   Loose-fitting, unlined vest and jackets have front extending into hood or collar, and side front seams. 

Pattern Sizing: XS-Med

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  Yes.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I liked that this pattern was easy with very few pieces to assemble.

Fabric Used:  Poly/Lycra Curly Knit.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  I didn't make any alterations to the jacket itself, but I felt that it needed belt loops for the belt.  I used the same fabric as the main to make my loops.  I measured 12" long by 1" wide.  Sewed the seams, turned the tube, cut it in half, then attached 1 to each sideseam on the outside instead of within the sideseam.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  Yes, but with a different fabric.  This one was so much fun (red fuzz everywhere).  I do recommend this pattern to anyone who is looking for a quick sweater or jacket.  It's all in what you make it from.

Conclusion:   I like this pattern because the options are limitless so far wise as fabric.  I really wanted a jacket like the cover example and I found it hard to find the fabric, but in the end, it was all worth it.

Since my fabric did not appear to be heavy, I was expecting a lightweight jacket, but this fabric, once my project was completed, weighs a ton.  This is a "Real" jacket and it's not even lined.  If it was lined I think it would be even heavier.  The feel of the acrylic is so soft.  It makes me feel as if I am wearing my own heard of lambs.  I love my fabric choice and will definitely consider lining my next one.

I made my jacket from the size Medium.  I read other reviews where some of the sewers were having problems with the sizing.  I looked at the pieces before I got started and everything measured up to my exact size, so I didn't have to do anything to get it to fit me.  It was because of the other reviews that I actually resized the pattern (to a small) with a muslin and found that the new size was way to small for me.  My suggestion would be to test with a knit muslin before you start.  That way you will be able to see where you will need to grade.

I recommend this pattern to beginners most of all who really want to make something in the coat/ jacket area.  This pattern has big pieces, but it sews very quickly.  All of the seams are quit easy and it didn't have any tricky stitching whatsoever.  I see this pattern as a staple for jackets.  The options range from vest, to jacket, to hood, or no hood can be endless.  But, the one option that I also see is that it can be taken down a few more inches and made into a duster.  This is something that I will look into to verify my theory because I think that might would take a full 4.5 yds.

Thank you for joining me today and until next post...

Lots of Love
Dellia

Comments