McCall's 7021 and Review

Hi

I think I probably said in an earlier post that Halloween kind of stopped me in my tracks with a couple of projects that I really wanted and needed to get done.  I started looking for new and interesting patterns for the 2014 Fall/Winter season, but making my mind up on which one to start with was kind of hard when there were some awesome patterns coming out.  Some were repeats, but I was still mesmerized when I saw McCall's 7021.  I actually figured I would make a few of these for my daughter, but I knew that in order to get her to like it I would have to make one for myself first.  Guess what,,,,It worked?  When she saw my blouse she was all excited to get one for herself.  She actually picked a leopard print jersey that I had and a solid red.   Halloween cut into the red one, but here are a few pics of the 2 that I did manage to finish.


This is my blouse.



I just turned under the sleeves for a small hem.

I decided not to do the waste according to the instructions because I wanted my elastic almost invisible.
I used a Rayon Jersey for my blouse which can be found Here, Here, and Here.  The rayon has a silky soft feel.  This is the last piece of fabric that I had from a previous project.  I was impressed with this fabric then and almost too happy that I had just enough left to make this top.

I used the same pattern that I had for myself for my daughter.  I was not about to buy 2 of the same pattern.  I had to grade it to a small so that it would fit her.  Then I made the sides in the front a little longer that what the pattern called for.   This gives a significant dip for the front part of the peplum.

After I alter the front, I used the front to match the length of the seams and then cut the back.  I applied her elastic the same way that I did mine.

I turned under the neck and the sleeves per instructions.



My daughter wore her blouse the very next day and she just loves it.  I don't know when I will get a chance to wear mine, but I'm sure I'll find an excuse to put on...LOL.

The Review

Pattern Description: Misses top with variations

Pattern Sizing: B5 (8-16)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes. Completely

Were the instructions easy to follow?  These were the best and easiest instructions that I've had in a while.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I liked how easy everything was. From cutting to sewing, the whole process was a breeze.

Fabric Used:  The pink top I used a Rayon and the leopard print was a cotton jersey.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  I didn't make any changes to my pattern other than the elastic change.  With the second one, I had to adjust the pattern to fit my daughter. (didn't buy 2 patterns).

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  Yes, I am definitely going to make this one again and again.  I recommend this pattern completely!!!!


Conclusion:   Well, I will say it again.  This is an awesome pattern for beginners and anyone who wants a quick peplum top without all the fuss. Construction time was about 2hrs without distractions.   I used 2 different types of fabric which shows how versatile this pattern is.  I will be trying a few other fabric choices for some of my other projects, but that will be at a later time.

Converting a pre-cut for my daughter was so easy (knit fabrics are so forgiving).  I will be using the same pattern for the both of us in other projects because this pattern will make you feel like a pro.

Well, That's it for now.  I hope you enjoyed today's post and I look forward to next time.

Lots of Love
Dellia

Comments