Casual Wardrobe Boost Update and Review 1

Hi

Today, I want to post the results from my wardrobe boost It's Sew Easy projects.  I have compiled a few photos of the finished projects that I did manage to do and a few words about the patterns themselves.  The reason I chose these patterns for my projects is because they are patterns that you would find at just about any Walmart.  I remember a time when I was not so avid about sewing, but I would buy an occasional pattern here and there whenever I was in Walmart.  A lot of people will actually do the same thing because the price of the patterns are really low, but there are several questions that I would ask myself when I bought Walmart patterns.
1- Are these patterns as good as a regular Simplicity pattern?
2- Are the instructions complete in detail?
3- Will my project turn out like the photo?
4- Will this be a pattern that I will use more than once?
These are just a few of my major concerns with the It's Sew Easy patterns from Walmart and here is where and when I decided to put some of my fears to rest.

First on my Review scale is It's Sew Easy 1853.  This is a skirt pattern that had various skirt lengths, elastic waistband, pouch pockets, and tie front.  This pattern appealed to me because of the many possibilities.  I am going to show the pattern in it's original version spruced up my way and then I will show it in one with my own twist.

Original Version My Way
As you will see with the pattern instructions, you can use lace, ribbon, d-rings, or bias tape to create your own personal touch.  I chose bias tape because I didn't want to go out and get a set of d-rings ( I already had bias tape).
  These are the pockets.  The first picture is the line up of the darts on the pockets and the 2nd picture are the pockets trimmed with a contrasting bias tape.
Here I was trying to decide between 2 different sizes of bias tape.  I actually liked the small sized tape, but I found it interesting that the larger tape just captured my attention a little more (top picture).
I chose to go with the small bias tape on the pockets and the larger tape on the hem.  I finished the look off with a black top.  The fabric is a light weight linen that I had gotten from Hancock Fabrics last year.  This fabric is perfect for Summer time.  I like the way it makes the skirt stand out with very little effort and it has a great deal of comfort.

My Altered Version

 I didn't want the side bucket pockets for this project, so I used a pocket piece from another pattern that I liked, cut the pattern shorter than the first version.  All of it together was cut from 1 1/2 yds. cotton fabric.
With this version I decided to use just 1 piece for the front and 2 side pieces for the back.  I wanted the skirt to be more along the A line look with an elastic waist and side seam pockets.
Here are the button holes for the drawstring pulls.  The holes were sewn to the front side only.
These are the pockets.  I took the pockets and basted them to the front of the skirt before setting the waistband.
 With his skirt I topped the look off with a pink V-neck tee.  Instead of using twill tape for the ties, I made a self tie from the fabric.  This is what the skirt looks like from the front.
Back view.  The hem was serged and turned under and trimmed in contrasting cream colored thread.
Pockets,,,, Yes, this is going to be my favorite skirt.  I love the fit of this skirt.  The cotton fabric is so soft and easy to iron.  It makes me want to have a load of these in every color.

The Review
Pattern Description:   Misses skirt with length variations, elastic waistband, and pockets.

Pattern Sizing:   XS-XL

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  Yes, they were very easy to follow.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I absolutely loved the ease of the pattern.  There were straight lines and pockets which made for a quick basic project..

Fabric Used:  Project 1-Linen.  Project 2- cotton.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  Changed the pockets in project 2 and length.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  Yes. I am going to make this pattern as a maxi skirt.  Yes. I think this is a good first pattern.


Conclusion:  This is an excellent pattern to have in your pattern stash.  It was very easy to read and simply looking at the illustrations are a great help as well.  I can see this skirt with several different types of fabric,, satin, silk, shantung, woven blend, poly blend.  There are a numerous amount of fabrics that would suit this pattern.  The pockets can be eliminated or changed very easily.  Trims can vary from ric-rac, lace, and ribbon, or anything that you want to accent your garment.  The elastic in the waistband is kind of thin.  If you want a full inch in the waist, adding another 1/2" to the waistband pieces and keeping the buttonholes in the same position should make for a more firm waistband.  If this is one of the patterns you bought on a trip to Walmart, I would suggest that you give it a try.  It's a good beginner pattern and a quick cute pattern for the more advanced sewer.

Thank you for joining me, Until next time

Lots of Love
Dellia

Comments