Next Up, Simplicity 1880, The Shirt Dress

While I am sitting here waiting for my ankle to heal, I decided to get started on my next project.  Since I love the color yellow, I thought I would make good use of some yellow linen that I had in my stash.  This piece of fabric has been in on my mind a lot.  During the Summer months I never seemed to have the right pattern or the right mind to try it, but for some strange reason I thought that I would use it now that it's Fall.

I've noticed that there are a lot of shirt dresses out there now and I want one.  I used to think that it didn't make sense to have a shirt with a skirt, but the ease of wearing a skirt with a shirt sounds pretty good right now, especially if it is all a one piece.  So, that is what today's post is about, The Shirt Dress

The pattern that I chose for this project is Simplicity 1880.  Over the years I have seen this style of dress rise and fall, but still it remains timeless.  I don't think this style will ever go out of fashion.  There are some famous people who have worn a few of these in their day so let's see who we could drum up and take a look at how well The Shirt Dress has withstood the test of time.

Although Ms. Hepburn was seldom seen in anything other than her slacks, this is one of the rare photos of her in a dress.  Can you guess what type of dress it is?  Yes, it is a Shirt Dress, even though there are some detailing to the waist, collar and front bodice, this is a beautiful everyday dress.

To me, Lucille Ball made women's shirt dresses a closet staple.  In just about every scene of I Love Lucy, you were almost guaranteed to see her in one.  I loved watching Lucy go through her many different life episodes, but I fell head over heels for her many years ago.  Most people know of her as I Love Lucy, but Lucille Ball was an extremely talented actress and she had all the style, grace and beauty of old Hollywood long before she became Lucy.

The First Lady, Michelle Obama has been very fashion forward in her shirt dresses.  These 2 dresses make it to the very top of my "Silk Must Have" list.  I can't tell which one I like most, but if I had to choose, the one on the left would be the one I would wear first.  The First Lady is always on point when she steps onto the stage,,,beautiful lady.


Even the Royals have been spotted out in their Shirt Dresses.  I love these 2 pictures the most.  Yellow is my favorite color and seeing the young Princess, Kate Middleton is wearing a yellow flirty dress and the Queen is wearing a soft pleated polka dot dress with matching turban, makes me want to rush my yellow dress up so I can be in the yellow group photo. (LOL).

 Princess Kate has been out and about on other occasions with her Shirt Dresses.

Burberry
I'm sure that there are some of you who might have one or two of these type dresses in your closet, but remember when I cleaned out my closet?  I could not find 1 of thesedresses in all of the clothes that I had had.  I like this style of dress, but have never personally owned one.  I don't know why, but I've never bought one.  So, as I put my closet back together with things that I like to wear or have always wanted, this dress is one that I have chosen to be in my new wardrobe.  Will I make more than one?  I don't know just yet.  I will have to finish this pattern first, but I do know that if this pattern doesn't work for me I will have to find another one and go from there.  But, I must have a Shirt Dress in my closet.  (LOL)
Here are the beginnings of my Shirt Dress.  I just happened to have had a piece of yellow linen.  I would have loved a softer fabric, but I already had this one.  I don't know how this is going to turn out, so wish me lucky.

Thank you for reading my post today and be sure to come back and see how this one turns out.  Until next time, Lots Of Love and Plenty Of Hugs,,,,

Dellia

Comments