Simplicity 1675, DIY

Hi
Today was another big day for Hancock Fabrics.  I was out early this morning trying to get a pair of pinking shears and the 5/$5.00 McCall's pattern sale.  When I first went in the store, it was like a desert (no one in sight).    After I had found the 4 patterns on my list, I noticed the doors were swinging like a swing on a playground.  People were piling in for one thing or another.  It felt so good to see women and men keeping being so cordial and having the appearance of being genuinely happy today.  Days like today make me feel as if I belong to a very special group of  people (the sewists--we clothe the world!! OR at least ourselves and our children..lol)

Anywho,, yesterday was my little one's birthday.  She turned 9 and she wasn't a happy camper about her birthday suit.  I tried to finish it before her birthday, but that little top was a mess.  I measured it several times.  I even measured her a couple of times to see if I was off or the pattern.  Turns out it was the pattern.  I finished her little birthday suit today and all is right with the world here on the home front.  Here's a look at her new outfit.
Watching her skirt blow with the wind.



She said she loves the skirt most of all (now she has a skirt like mommy's)



The Review
Pattern Description:  Girls coordinate pieces

Pattern Sizing:  Size 8- 18.  I made the size 12/graded 8 top


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Yes, for the skirt. No way, for the top.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked the little skirt.  

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made  I had to totally remake the top.  I actually made 2.  Because I used knit fabric, I couldn't reuse any of the first one due to holes.  I had to use a zig-zag stitch and I had to cut the top from the size 8, but keep the length of a 12.  I also had to make a bow for the back because the back was too wide apart and I made the straps a little wider.  I think my version was a lot easier and better than the pattern.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes and Yes.  This little set is a must have for any princess's wardrobe.  The skirt was so easy.  It took about 20 minutes to make.  I see more of those in her future.
 
Conclusion: I like this pattern, but I hate the top.  I think if you have another top to go with this you will fair better.  If you are just dying to have this pattern as a total set, then take the time to measure the top according to your child's needs.  It will save fabric and time.  If you want the top to be more flowing, like I did, then leave the sides as they are, but definitely take in the top part or just find another way of doing it like I did.  Other than that, this is a decent pattern for the girly girls.  The instructions were good and the illustrations were good as well.


This concludes today's Birthday Suit...Happy Birthday My Little Sweetheart.

Thanks for joining me.  Lots of Love and Plenty of Hugs,,,Dellia