Review for Mccall's 6567

While I have been sewing for my girls, I thought I would get in a little something for myself.  I like it when I can make something for myself and it looks nice.

The material that I used for this skirt was dark, but kind of sheer.  I didn't see it until I took the photos.  That was when I could see "Sarah" through the fabric.  When I have the skirt on you can't see through it, so I'm going to count that as lighting.


The McCall's pattern that I used is HERE, Simplicity HERE, and Butterick HERE.  Similar skirts are at Nordstrom and Express, but the expense is far more. My skirt was less that 2 yards of fabric @ $1.00 per yard, a pattern @ .99 (found on sale at Hancock fabric Store), total for my skirt was less that $4.00.


Any of the listed patterns would make this skirt and I believe that this skirt is just as easy as the maxi skirt.  The only difference would be hemming at an angle to create the hi-low effect.  If you don't either of these patterns, the maxi tutorial HERE on Mimi Goodwin's site would be the perfect pattern to go by plus her tutorial allows for more gathers and a fuller looking skirt.



This lightweight poly fabric was more sheer than I expected, an underskirt will be needed to make sure it's not too see through.


Double stitched the casing to more secure the elastic and make the waistband lay flat.




Single rolled hem. Serged, pressed, then turned under the serged hem to stitch, then pressed again.


At a different angle the sheerness is not so obvious. 


Finished Summer look put together with a simple white cami.

I love this skirt and I plan to make more.  It took about 15 minutes to put together.  With the different options that comes in the pattern approximate time will be different.  I cut out the ruffle piece, but after I looked at the skirt, I decided I didn't really want the ruffle at the bottom (made it too long).

In my honest opinion, Review wise...This is a good starter pattern (project) for beginners.  If you are just learning to sew, try this pattern.  It can add pieces to your wardrobe quickly and easily. Try different fabrics i.e. challis, knit, linen, gauze, chiffon, even a lightweight broadcloth.  This pattern is so versatile that it gives a positive form to just about any fabric.  Just think about what you will be using the skirt for,,,chiffon for a beach cover up... 

Comments